Social distancing has become the new temporary norm. Of course, we know this was designed for health and safety reasons. Still, while social distancing has kept many apart from the physical and social part of life, it doesn’t mean socializing should be canceled altogether.
Many have joined virtual social groups and workout sessions. Others find amusement in online concerts, binge-watching movies, or arranging virtual dates! Several people have joined singles groups, and couples, who aren’t sheltered-in-place together, maintain their relationship by setting up virtual dates. If you’re stuck in a rut and need a different way to socialize, check out the different ways of taking your digital social life to a different level.
Hosting a Virtual Singles Meet and Greet
If you’re planning to host a Virtual Singles Social keep in mind the following:
- Know what type of single people you’re inviting so you can prepare activities for the targeted group.
- Be sure everyone you invite is single and unattached. Send out invites a week or two in advance to ensure you’re on the calendar.
- Prepare activities that will stimulate and entertain participants. Having a theme for the meetups works great as it provides fun and focus.
- Prepare an agenda that includes rules and a shortlist of activities or conversation topics to guide the session.
- Set a reasonable time frame, and be sure you begin and end on time.
Inviting Someone on a Virtual Date
Another way to soothe your social distancing itch is to invite someone on a virtual date. This is your chance to reveal a crush or try your luck. Either way, you’ll take a risk and risks are good for the soul! Before you take the plunge and invite someone on a virtual date, do the following:
- Be sure the person you’re interested in is not in a relationship. You don’t want to create virtual drama or discord.
- Couples, you can go on a virtual double date with another couple you have healthy interactions with. Plan games or indulge in stimulating conversation. The host couple should have a plan of action to keep all parties engaged.
- You can send an Evite with all information or an invite using one of the many online apps that are available.
- Choose your words wisely. Be direct, respectful, and polite. In this day and age of technology and screenshots, you don’t want to take a chance of having your invite exposed for others to see, and it contains a message you may regret.
Practical Virtual Date Tips
If you secure an online rendezvous, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Put your best virtual foot forward. Get comfortable in an area where there is a minimal amount of distractions.
- Bring your top conversation game to the table. This is the perfect time to really get to know someone on an intellectual level, so be prepared to engage in good conversation.
- Be sure to set a relaxed and friendly tone. Dates are designed to be fun and exciting; during this different time we’re experiencing some fun and excitement is just what the doctor ordered.
- Plan fun question and answer games to learn something new about your love interest.
Social distancing is a new experience for everyone. However, technology has allowed people across the globe to stay connected, but it’s up to us to keep the virtual connections strong and innovative. Take this time to be courageous and creative with your time of social distancing. You never know what you’ll discover about yourself and others.