The annual lovefest known as Valentine’s Day is rapidly approaching. A time when love fills the air, and everywhere you seem to go looks like an explosion of pink and red hearts. Historically, this time of year has typically been all about romance and different ways to shower your lover with adoration, admiration, and appreciation. But these days, Valentine’s Day means so much more than that. It is a time to simply love and be loved. And what better way to share that love than through gifts!
Now, coming off the holiday season, shopping for that perfect Valentine’s Day gift can be a chore. Leaving many to resort to the same flower, card, candy, and dinner date combination. But we all know that when Black creatives start creating, the possibilities are endless. So, from candles to self-care boxes, his and her clothing options to handbags, and a few spices sprinkled in between, here are seven Black-owned Valentine’s Day gifts for all to enjoy.
- AGAPExoxo – The Self Love Kit Collection is a beautiful combination of soothing and sexy with just the right amount of sweetness. Its intoxicating and addicting scents are sure to set the mood this month and BEYOND. Featuring five of AGAPExoxo’s bestselling products including Hydrating Body Oil, Whipped Soap, Exfoliating Body Polish, Whipped Body Souffle, and a package of Aromatherapy Shower Steamers, this kit is guaranteed to make anyone’s self-care day the best yet. The Self Love Kit Collection is priced at $75 and can be purchased at https://agapexoxo.com.
- I’m Well Essentials – Created by Lauren Jackson, a licensed professional counselor on a mission to help her clients outside of the therapy room, I’m Well Essentials includes both CBD and non-CBD candles to help with stress, anxiety, and depression. Each handcrafted, hand-poured, and locally sourced candle is made from soy wax with an option to include dried flowers at the top. Candles come in 8 and 10oz and start at $20 for non-CBD and $30 for CBD. To purchase, visit https://imwellessentials.com.
- D’iyanu – Celebrating African heritage with stylish, contemporary clothing for the whole family, D’iyanu creates bold prints and unique pieces for people of all backgrounds to express themselves through African culture. The D’iyanu collection features his and hers looks, designed in an in-house, all-female team. They also offer hats, scarves, head wraps, ties, and so much more. Prices start at $59.99 and can be found at https://www.diyanu.com.
- Orijin Culture – Featuring their signature Africa-shaped bag/backpack, Orijin Culture offers luxury bags and jewelry for men and women. Each bag is made from 100% cowhide leather, with enough room to carry all your essentials. Orijin Culture celebrates the uniqueness of Black culture using exquisite statement pieces for all, ensuring to turn heads with each wear. Prices start at $249. Visit https://orijinstore.com to purchase.
- Free + True – Perfect for the ones who love self-care and pampering, Free + True offers skincare products using locally grown botanicals and boosted with high-tech, clean ingredients. Founded by San Francisco, CA-based esthetician, Tami Blake, Free + True offers a Raw + Wild Illimunating Honey Mask that is crafted with raw honey, bee-friendly botanicals, and fruit enzymes. This perfect pick-me-up for congested and lackluster skin also features regional raw honey, lavender, rosemary, and marigold. The best part is that $1 from every sale of Raw + Wild Illuminating Honey Mask goes to organizations fighting to save bee populations. The Raw + Wild Illuminating Honey Mask retails for $56 and can be found at https://freeandtrueskincare.com.
- Moonlight Roller – From dark, rich suedes to cosmic holographic and animal prints, Moonlight Roller has something for everyone. Moonlight Roller offers high-quality, expertly sized skates that pay homage to the ’70s disco era. Each pair features a moon cutout on the boot and a wider toe box to help make the breaking-in process easier. Ensuring that skaters never miss a beat. You can purchase a pair for the skater in life for $250 at https://moonlightroller.com.
- Beaucoup Flavor – This contemporary spice brand highlighting creole flavors aims to inspire healthy eating through low sodium, MSG Free, NON-GMO, all-natural, vegan, and diabetic-friendly, flavor-first spice blends. Beaucoup Flavor’s hero ingredient, Sel Gris, is a French sea salt known for its many health benefits including better sleep, immune system support, and regulated blood sugar levels and blood pressure. Geared towards addressing health disparities, targeting the Black community. Beaucoup Flavor retails for $12.99 and can be purchased at https://www.beaucoupflavor.com/store.
Contributing Writer Racquel Coral is a national lifestyle writer and journalist based in Chicago, Illinois. Find her on all social media platforms @withloveracquel.