Chicago State University’s First Class Pharmacy Program
By YD Avila Defender Contributing Writer
Chicago State University’s College of Pharmacy has been lauded for its top of the chart status. This new state of the art, comprehensive program is considered one of the best programs in the nation and was recently recognized by the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy as having the 10th highest underrepresented minority student enrollment in the country.
The program created in August 2008, quickly established a tradition of excellence in education, training, scholarships, service and research with particular emphasis on producing pharmacy professionals who are skilled in positively affecting the health care needs of a global community.
What separates CSU’s College of Pharmacy from other is that it has one of the most impressive teaching facilities in Illinois. With funding from Walgreens and CVS, the College now has 2 new state of the art lecture rooms filled with high technology equipment; top quality professional pharmacy teaching laboratory that has the ability to teach students compounding procedures and patient care skills; like counseling and screening, and their research laboratory has equipment for basic science investigations. In addition to this, many of the pharmacy students work side by side with professors on basic and clinical science research projects. All of this implemented to ensure that all students receive the best of science, clinical and research experience in the State of Illinois.
In May of this year, CSU Pharmacy graduates decided to continue their education and advance careers through a residency program that is highly competitive in the nation. Immediately after graduation 14 students from the class of 2016 chose the path of residency, with a 70% rate for those who applied. 64.5% is the national average for being successfully matched as a resident at top health care facilities around the country. This is unprecedented.
What’s even more significant, CSU Pharmacy students are in the community reaching out and providing over 6000 hours of service to over 900 patients. This major achievement is a commitment to service, to the community and to the program that is commendable. It’s no wonder why the CSU Pharmacy College is proud to boast that for seven consecutive years the students have been awarded the prestigious Albert Schweitzer Fellowship, headquartered in Boston and Health & Medicine Policy Research Group, a Chicago nonprofit that focuses on health care access of the working poor and uninsured.
Empowering pharmacy students by creating strategic partnerships through win-win strategies that deliver measurable results is critical to the program and enhances the vision and values of the student’s knowledge. Right now, partnerships with Walmart, Walgreens and CVS allows students to get hands on experience which translates into establishing a pipeline of diverse and talented students who will operate and help these companies meets it goal of serving the global community. The high demands of quality healthcare mean you must always be prepared for what’s to come, explore research and consider all opportunities.
Chicago State University’s College of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE). Students who complete the four-year professional degree program (with 62 prerequisite semester hours) are awarded the Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) Degree. The College embraces a holistic approach when selecting candidates for admission. Factors considered when selecting candidates include the applicant’s academic record, Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT) scores, letters of recommendations, extracurricular activities, work and volunteer experience, a written personal statement and motivation for a pharmacy career. For more information, contact: The Office of Student Affairs at (773) 821-2189.
ABOUT CSU Pharmacy Program:
Chicago State University’s Doctor of Pharmacy program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education:
135 South LaSalle Street
Suite 4100, Chicago, IL 60503
Accreditation information web site: click here
- Chicago State University College of Pharmacy student Bernice Mann receives 2014-2015 American Society of Health-Systems Pharmacists Leadership Award, click HERE for complete release
- Chicago State University College of Pharmacy student Bernice Mann receives 2013-2014 Schweitzer Fellowship click HERE for complete release
- CSU’s College of Pharmacy Dominates 2012 Spring Symposium & Student Research Conference in STEM click HERE for complete release
- Chicago State University College of Pharmacy student Peter Akudo awarded the National Association of Chain Drug Stores Foundation (NACDS) Student Scholarship click HERE for complete release
- Chicago State University College of Pharmacy Students Participate in statewide competition click HERE for complete release
- Chicago State University College of Pharmacy student Tiffany Brown awarded the National Association of Chain Drug Stores Foundation (NACDS) Student Scholarship click HERE for complete release
- Chicago State University College of Pharmacy student Kimerlyn Ariwodo chosen to participate in the Walgreens Pharmacy Corporate Internship Program click HERE for complete release
- Chicago State University College of Pharmacy student Maimoona Batul receives 2011-12 Schweitzer Fellowship click HERE for complete release
- Chicago State University College of Pharmacy student James Lott receives 2009-10 Schweitzer Fellowship click HERE for complete release