The aftermath of the looting on Chicago’s Southside has left many grocery stores, pharmacies, and other essential places barren and some in total destruction. Residents in the hardest-hit areas will have an extremely difficult and almost impossible time getting the essentials they need. Thankfully, we have compiled a list of a few available resources as well cleanup assistance needed on the Southside:
Volunteers needed for Southside Clean-up Efforts to Rebuild and Restore
Wednesday, June 3, Noon – until at the following locations:
- Roseland – Halsted Strip
- 95th and Stony Island Strip
- 87th & State Street (right off Dan Ryan Expressway) – Jewel’s Parking Lot
- 79th & Cottage Grove
- 47th & Cottage Grove – Walmart Parking Lot
- 35th – Lake Meadows Shopping Center
- If possible, please bring your own cleaning supplies: broom, shovels, dustpans, gloves, masks, paper towels and garbage bags (contractor bags preferred)
- Donate to this effort via: Paypal.me/southsidecleanup
Open Grocery Stores / Pharmacies / Hardware Stores
- Save A Lot locations: 73rd & Stony Island and 2858 E. 83rd Street
- Fairplay locations: 4640 S. Halsted and 2323 W. 111th Street
- Walmart, 10900 S. Doty Ave (right off the 111th Exit on the Bishop Ford/I94)
- 1st Choice, 3019 E. 91st Street
- Mariano’s, 1615 S. Clark Street
- Hyman’s Ace Hardware, 8614 S. Commercial Ave
- Elton Ace Hardware 5422 S. Lake Park (in Hyde Park)
- Please note that the above locations may have reduced hours, and there may be long lines to enter. Be prepared to stand in line, and please be patient with the process.
Banks and ATMs (with Drive-thru ATMs)
- Chase Bank, 6650 S. Stony Island
- Providence Bank & Trust, 7949 S. Cottage Grove
Assistance for Residents and Businesses
- Love Packages for Chicago Black Mamas and Families – Chicago Birth Works is collecting the following mom and baby essentials (diapers, wipes, baby soap + detergents, baby food, feminine products, gently used baby and children’s clothing, first-aid packages or items, and other useful items for expectant mothers and/or parents of young children). Email info@chicagobirthworks for drop-off instructions or alternative donation options.
- Apostolic Church of God, 6320 S. Dorchester, will be giving away meat, fresh produce, and non-perishable items on Tuesday, June 9, from 12 pm – 2 pm. They have two separate lines, a walk up and a drive up. It is highly recommended that you arrive early (between 10:45 am-11 am) as the lines and wait times can be extremely long.
- The Nellie Prather Foundation’s Nellie’s Cupboard Food Pantry is free and open to the public. They have a mass amount of eggs, fruits, vegetables, meat, snack foods, milk, and various healthy beverages and lots more – all donated by Whole Foods. Please come out and grab some free food Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30 am – 2:30 pm at 325 Center Street, Glenwood, IL.
- Any Black-owned businesses that have been vandalized, please email email@example.com. They have licensed contractors who will come and assist in your rebuild FREE OF CHARGE.
- For black-owned companies in need of assistance with cleanouts and board-ups, please text your business name and address 708-207-5492.
Kim Durden is the owner of Divine Dine Food Tours. Find her on social media at @divinedinefoodietours.