Cops Viciously Beat Deaf Man For Not Responding During Traffic Stop [VIDEO]

Photo by News One
Photo by News One

Pearl Pearson, 64, a diabetic, deaf driver who resides in Oklahoma City was allegedly viciously beaten for seven minutes by police because he did not respond during a traffic stop, reports the Black Youth Project.
The January 3 incident began when Pearson was pulled over by police officers. Even though the fact that Pearson is deaf is clearly marked on his driver’s licence and on his vehicle, officers allegedly punched Pearson in the face as soon as he rolled down the window.
Read more details below:

1. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol pulled Pearl over late in the evening on January 3, 2014. Pearl pulled over as he should.
2. Pearl’s driver’s license indicates he is Deaf. He also has a placard in his driver’s door that says, “Driver is deaf”.
3. Pearl pulled over and rolled down his window, expecting an officer to ask for this identification. An officer struck him in the face before Pearl had the chance to do anything.  As you can see, he was struck multiple times.
4. An interpreter was never provided while Pearl was under the care of law enforcement.  Not during the booking, hospital, or time at the jail  was an interpreter provided, even through Pearl requested one.
5. Pearl was left wondering “why” the the entire time.  He has no clue why  he was beat. Pearl and his family are still not sure, but are ready for some answers.
6. Pearl’s own son is a police officer, as was his son-in-law, who is now a deputy sheriff.  He respects law enforcement and knows how to respond when pulled over.  There is no reason for someone like Pearl to be hurt like this by those who are meant to protect and serve.
Capt. George Brown, spokesman for the OHP, said, “After an internal review of facts surrounding the arrest of Mr. Pearl Pearson, Chief of Patrol, Col. Rick Adams, has directed investigators to expand the focus of their investigation in order to determine if there were any violations of state law. If through the course of this investigation, it is determined there were violations of department policy and/or state law, the appropriate action will be taken. To date, the office of the chief has not received any outside complaint regarding this event. State Troopers Foster and Hayes remain on suspension with pay pending the results of this investigation.”
To watch the video, click here.

About Post Author


From the Web

Skip to content