Your Money Really Matters: Year end tax tips

There are just a few weeks left before the end of 2008, but there are still some opportunities to successfully manage your tax burden. “To manage your taxes, you have to be on top of it. You have to have a good estimate of your income and tax deduct

There are just a few weeks left before the end of 2008, but there are still some opportunities to successfully manage your tax burden. “To manage your taxes, you have to be on top of it. You have to have a good estimate of your income and tax deductible expenses. Don’t wait until April 15th because it’s too late to do anything about it then,” states Kevin Penn a CPA and tax preparer in Cleveland, Ohio. The general rule of deferring income and accelerating deductions at year-end is still good tax planning strategy. If you used a tax advisor in the past, you should meet with your advisor to assess your tax situation and discuss how the following tips apply to you.

Tip #1- Determine where you are? Start by taking out last year’s tax returns, your most recent pay stubs and your investment account statements.

Make a copy of your Form 1040 and pencil in estimates of your 2008 income. Use your investment account statements to estimate your interest and dividend income and also whether you have capital gains or losses. If you have a business, estimate your business income for 2008. If you have rental property, estimate your full year income and expenses.

Estimate your itemized deductions for 2008. These include: allowable medical expenses, all state and local taxes, allowable interest, charitable contributions, allowable losses and miscellaneous deductions. Pencil in your total deductions on your Form 1040 and subtract it from your adjusted gross income to determine your Taxable Income. Use the tax tables to determine your estimated tax. Subtract any applicable credits from your total tax. Using your pay stubs, estimate your withholding for the year and add quarterly tax payments. Subtract your payments from the total tax to determine the amount of your overpayment or tax due.

Tip #2- Accelerate deductions Allowable deductions reduce your taxable income and your tax bill. The following is a sample list of actions that you can take before year-end to help reduce your tax burden:

•Pay state and local estimated income taxes before the end of the year. •Pay property taxes before yearend. •Pay your January 2008 mortgage payment in December. The interest will be deductible this year. •Be charitable- Make contributions to your favorite charities. Additionally non-cash contributions such as clothing, household goods and appreciated securities can be deducted at their fair market value.

Tip #3- Harvest your losses Analyze your investment portfolio with the objective of balancing out capital gains and losses. If you have stocks that have “paper” losses, try to sell enough losers to offset your realized capital gains for the year. Additionally, you can deduct an additional $3,000 ($1,500 for married filing separately) of losses from your regular income. Two words of caution: Be careful to avoid a “wash sale” that is re-buying the same security within 30 days before or after you sold shares. Additionally, losers that you dump have to be securities that you are comfortable selling at this time.

Tip #4- Defer income The basic intent of deferring income is to lower your taxable income for the current year. This is limited for most wage earners; however, there are some opportunities. Deferring a year-end bonus to January 2009 will escape taxation in 2008. Investment property, such as real estate, which is being sold near the end of the year, could have the closing delayed until early 2008.

Tip #5- Get ready First, set up a tax filing system for all of you tax related receipts and statements. Keep a copy of your tax returns forever. If you anticipate receiving a large refund because of over withholding, consider filing a new W-4 to reduce your payroll withholding. Plan ahead for your 2009 IRA, 401(k), and similar retirement account contributions. If you have a medical or child-care flexible spending account, make sure you use the full balance this year and plan ahead for next year.

Watch out for the AMT You might be subject to the alternative minimum tax (AMT) if your income is above $75,000, had significant write-offs, exercised incentive stock options or had significant capital gains. When it applies, the AMT is an “add-on” tax that is over and above your “regular” tax. To determine your AMT exposure, get the most recent version of Form 6251 and make the calculations.

The information provided here is a basic guideline to get you started. It is recommended that you consult a qualified tax professional to assess your personal situation.

Michael G. Shinn, CFP, Registered Representative and Advisory Associate of and securities offered through Financial Network Investment Corporation, member SIPC.

Copyright 2008 Chicago Defender. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

About Post Author


From the Web

Skip to content