With just weeks to go before Election Day on Nov. 3, now is the time to make sure everyone’s vote counts. That is why ten publishers of the leading Black newspapers in America will come together for a live event to discuss voting with purpose in the upcoming election.
“This moment requires greatness from our publications as the disparities and injustices are life-and-death,” said Larry Lee, publisher, The Sacramento Observer. “Black lives have always mattered to us, and our publications matter to Blacks.”
The ten publishers of the Word in Black collaborative will welcome seven esteemed Black leaders at 6 p.m. Eastern time Oct. 20 for an evening of conversation on voting with purpose. The event is an interactive, informational, live stream focused on the importance of all voters participating in the upcoming election. The event will stream live on WordinBlack.com.
Guests from diverse backgrounds will share research, insights, and experiences highlighting why exercising one’s right to vote is crucial for this — and every — election. Chris Bennett, publisher of Seattle Medium, and Dr. Frances Toni, will host the event . Draper, CEO, and publisher of the AFRO American and Elinor Tatum, publisher and editor-in-chief of the New York Amsterdam News, and Larry Lee, publisher of the Sacramento Observer, will moderate the event. The panel of nationally known experts includes:
- Bakari Sellers, Attorney for Strom Law Firm and CNN political commentator
- Susan Smith Richardson, CEO, Center for Public Integrity
- Dr. Benjamin F. Chavis Jr., president and CEO, National Newspaper Publishers Association
- Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights under Law
- Wes Moore, CEO, Robin Hood Foundation
- Leigh M. Chapman, director, Voting Rights Program
- Nolan Williams, Jr., American composer, producer, music director, innovator, curator, and musicologist.
“We can’t wait for the world to meet Word in Black on Oct. 20,” said Nancy Lane, chief executive officer, Local Media Association. “This group represents 10 of our nation’s leading Black publishers who are taking a major step forward to be the national voice of solutions for racial inequities in America. We are thrilled to serve as managers of this collaborative and financial sponsor of this event. We invite everyone to join us for this important discussion.”
The Emmy award-winning team of Nzinga Christine Blake and Erik Niewiarowski is producing the event, and fueling the technology is broadcast and streaming viewer engagement partner, Megaphone TV.