Tulsa Race Massacre Survivor Hughes Van Ellis Dead At 102

Must read

Black Information Network
Black Information Network
Black Information Network is the first and only 24/7 national and local all-news audio service dedicated to providing an objective, accurate and trusted source of continual news coverage with a Black voice and perspective. BIN is enabled by the resources, assets and financial support of iHeartMedia and the support of its Founding Partners: Bank of America, CVS Health, GEICO, Lowe’s, McDonald’s USA, Sony, 23andMe and Verizon. BIN is focused on service to the Black community and providing an information window for those outside the community to help foster communication, accountability and deeper understanding. Black Information Network is distributed nationally through the iHeartRadio app and accessible via mobile, smart speakers, smart TVs and other connected platforms, and on dedicated all-news local broadcast AM/FM radio stations. BIN also provides the news service for iHeartMedia’s 106 Hip Hop, R&B and Gospel stations across the country. Please visit www.BINNews.com for more information.
Photo: Getty Images

Hughes “Uncle Redd” Van Ellis, one of the last known survivors of the Tulsa Race Massacre, has died, per CNN. He was 102.

On Monday (October 9), Ellis died in Denver, Colorado, according to a family statement shared by Oklahoma Rep. Regina Goodwin.

“He died waiting on justice,” Ike Howard, his grandnephew, told CNN.

In 1921, Ellis was just a few months old when Tulsa’s then-thriving Greenwood District, known by many as Black Wall Street, was destroyed by a white mob during a massacre that left an estimated 300 Black people dead and businesses and homes burned to the ground. Ellis, his older sister, Viola Fletcher, and his loved ones were forced to leave behind their home and a lifetime of opportunities.

“I lost 102 years. I don’t want nobody else to lose that,” Ellis said earlier this year.

Ellis, Fletcher, 109, and 108-year-old Lessie Benningfield Randle were the last three known survivors of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre. For years, the three have been fighting to secure reparations for the destruction.

An Oklahoma judge dismissed the survivors’ lawsuit against the city of Tulsa in July. Their attorneys have since appealed the decision.

“Two days ago, Mr. Ellis, urged us to keep fighting for justice,” the family said in a statement.

Ellis, a World War ll veteran, was a “loving family man.” the statement added.

“We celebrate the rare life of Mr. Hughes Van Ellis who inspires us still!” the family said.

The Black Information Network is your source for Black News! Get the latest news 24/7 on The Black Information Network. Listen now on the iHeartRadio app or click HERE to tune in live.

From the Web

spot_img