The governor of Minnesota Minnesota Vikings should suspend superstar back Adrian Peterson indefinitely.
Mark Dayton released a statement on Tuesday saying he believes the Vikings should sit Peterson down until his child abuse case is resolved in Montgomery County, Texas.
As Atlanta Daily World has reported, Peterson was indicted on one count of reckless or negligent injury to a child Friday, stemming from an incident earlier this year when he used a switch to discipline his son, and he will make his first appearance in court on Oct. 8. His case might not go to trial until next year, however, and the Vikings announced on Monday that Peterson will be allowed to play while his case is being decided.
Wrong move, says Dayton.
“It is an awful situation,” he said in a statement provided to The Associated Press. “Yes, Mr. Peterson is entitled to due process and should be ‘innocent until proven guilty.’ However, he is a public figure; and his actions, as described, are a public embarrassment to the Vikings organization and the state of Minnesota. Whipping a child to the extent of visible wounds, as has been alleged, should not be tolerated in our state. Therefore, I believe the team should suspend Mr. Peterson, until the accusations of child abuse have been resolved by the criminal justice system.
“However, I will not turn my back on the Vikings and their fans, as some have suggested. The Vikings belong to Minnesota — and in Minnesota. This has been the team’s only home, and our citizens, including myself, have been its most dedicated fans.”
Dayton’s statements come the day after the Vikings announced that Peterson would practice this week and play Sunday against the New Orleans Saints. Shortly after the news conference the team held to announce that decision, the Radisson hotels chain — whose logo was on a press banner behind Vikings general manager Rick Spielman as he discussed the decision — announced it was suspending its sponsorship of the team.
A television station in Houston reported Monday that Peterson faced a similar accusation regarding another son in 2013, however.