The outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is stressful for everyone. People are feeling stress and anxiety and this can be overwhelming and cause strong emotions in adults and children.
Here are some exercises you can do to cope with stress during this time:
- Write down how you’re feeling, noting only two or three negative emotions. Then, flip to two or three positive.
- Visualize those positive emotions which happened to you in your life or things that have happened in your life that made you laugh.
- Work on the power of letting go of unhealthy thoughts related to this virus being experienced.
- Remember you’re not alone. FaceTime family members or friends that you haven’t spoken to in a long time.
- Practice something new, like dancing alone in your home. Call your friends and have them dance to your favorite song, pick a certain time when you all will be dancing together.
- This is a good time to work on your purpose. Why are you here? What do you want to do? What do you want to do that you haven’t yet done? After this virus is over what kind of life do you want to start living?
- Get started on spring cleaning! Give all unwanted items to people that can USE them. Clean our your drawers, closest, kitchen, and GIVE AWAY what you aren’t using
- Every day, write down one thing you want to change in your life and do IT.
- Set aside five minutes each day to think about all the wonderful things in your life as well as challenges use this to do mindful mediation or journaling
Managing stress and anxiety can be difficult. However we must be proactive about our physical, mental and spiritual well being to help us manage during these times of uncertainty.
Dr. Marrice Coverson, author of the book “The Power of Inner Wisdom: Your source for creating a soul-satisfying life and Pastor of Church of the Spirit