(Via ABC News) – The fiancee of the man who died of Ebola in Texas last month will get nothing in the settlement agreement with the hospital.
The family of Thomas Eric Duncan, the only person to die of Ebola in the United States, settled with Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, the parties announced today.
Although lawyers said they could not reveal the sum of the settlement, they said it was “a very good deal,” and as good or better than what the family would have gotten if they had gone to court with a malpractice lawsuit. Under Texas law, damages are limited to $250,000. Duncan’s four children and two parents all received part of the settlement.
The family will not have to pay for Duncan’s 11-day hospital stay.
However, Duncan’s fiancee, Louise Troh, received nothing in the settlement.
Troh received a phone call from the hospital about a week after Duncan’s death, in which officials said they were “deeply sorry” for what happened, she said on Oct. 16. She said she was grateful for the apology and that it would help her mourn.
Get the rest of this story at ABC News
Read more at https://www.eurweb.com/2014/11/dallas-ebola-patients-fiancee-gets-nothing-in-hospital-settlement-but-children-split-250k/#RqqkP87kz9MXcLEf.99