Families are gathering. Shoppers are shopping. Sleigh bells are ringing and Santa is prepping his sleigh. Yes people, the acclaimed most wonderful time of the year has arrived once again! Christmas. The season where giving is at an all-time high and the need to spread cheer is everywhere. Holidays are the time when families gather to catch up and celebrate. They often get together to prepare a traditional meal, trim the tree and exchange gifts. While these traditions bring families together and have been passed down for years, new family generations should begin incorporating fresh and unconventional ways to celebrate Christmas. If you’re unsure of what to do and where to begin, take a look below.
- Have a Decoration Competition. Plan to have a decorating contest with family or friends. Each person or family can select a theme or everyone can choose a common one. Create a rubric and select judges who aren’t in the competition. You can select a winner on or before Christmas Day. To make things more interesting, have a trophy for the winner. The winner keeps it for a year and whomever wins the next year, the current winner can pass the trophy along to the next winner. To make things more interesting, select someone else’s home to decorate and allow them to decorate your space. This can be done virtually or in-person. However, you choose to do it, make it fun, festive and personal.
- Spread Christmas Cheer. There are so many ways you can give the gift of joy this season. You can purchase or create cards and pass them out to your surrounding neighbors. You can also select a family to bring gifts too. If you don’t want to buy gifts prepare a Christmas meal or sweet treats for them. Whatever you decide, make sure it warms the hearts of those you’re giving to.
- Forgo a Gift Exchange. Every year, people spend hundreds of dollars buying material things for their loved ones. While there’s nothing wrong with granting a tangible wish, why not try giving the gift of unforgettable experiences? Plan a trip out of town or the country for you and your loved ones. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant, but it should be something enjoyable and different for all. Life is about creating memories. While material gifts are great, the memories you create with loved ones will transcend through time.
- Unconventional Gift Exchange. If you plan to exchange gifts, make them untraditional ones. You can trade long lost family recipes, pass along a family heirloom or create a family photo collage of past Christmas celebrations for everyone. You can also set time aside on Christmas Day for a craft session. During this time, family members can gather in on space to create personalized gifts for your loved ones. Doing this will allow you to exchange gifts from the heart. It also relieves the pressure of buying unaffordable gifts.
- In-Home Christmas Karaoke. Gather a list of your favorite Christmas songs with lyrics and sing them! Everyone has a special holiday tune they love to sing. What better time to practice or showcase your vocals in your home with family and friends.
The holidays are always a joyous time. Spend this year making priceless memories by creating new traditions. If you already have this year’s festivities mapped out, start planning something new for next year’s celebration. It’s custom to break old traditions and begin new ones. Whatever you decide to do, make sure it leaves an imprint on the hearts and souls around you.
Liz Lampkin is a Lifestyle, Love and Relationships writer. Follow her on social media @Liz_Lampkin