Canada’s Prime Minister Justine Trudeau probably woke up this morning thinking how much he misses President Barack Obama. On Wednesday, President Donald Trump boasted to his supporters about lying to Trudeau.
Trump’s comments came during a 30-minute private fundraising speech to donors in Missouri, according to the Washington Post, which obtained an audio recording of the event. He told attendees how once in a meeting, the president insisted to the prime minister that the United States runs a trade deficit with Canada—which is not true.
Trudeau probably longs for the days when he had a true ally in the White House. Obama and Trudeau met formally for the first time in 2015 at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit in the Philippines. Obama reportedly joked with Trudeau, who was just 43 at the time, about starting to dye his hair before it turned gray. They soon developed a “bromance” that Trudeau will never have with Trump.
During the meeting with Trump, the prime minister rejected the president’s claim about trade between the two countries. “He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,’ ” Trump said, imitating Trudeau, whom the president described as a “nice guy, good-looking guy.”
No doubt, Trudeau was probably thinking to himself at the meeting that Trump is either lying or ignorant about information that he should know.
In his fundraising speech, Trump seemed to threaten South Korea that he would pull U.S. troops out of the country if he doesn’t get his way in trade negotiations. He also took shots at other allies, including Japan and the European Union.
Here’s a look back at the Obama—Trudeau years:
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Here’s Another Reason Canada’s Prime Minister Misses Obama was originally published on newsone.com