An African-American former Comcast employee filed a lawsuit against the company because managers fired her after she complained about a racially hostile workplace, The Oregonian reports.
Bridget Cooks, 48, filed the suit on May 26. It seeks $600,000 and names the employment agencies Aerotek and Allegis Group, as well as Comcast, as defendants.
About one year into working at the Comcast’s Tigard, Oregon offices, Cooks said her co-workers became racially antagonistic. In one incident, a male co-worker allegedly made a noose while looking at her.
In another incident, a different co-worker told her “White lives matter,” after a gunman fatally shot five Dallas police officers at a peaceful Black Lives Matter demonstration last year.
Cooks said she complained to her supervisor about feeling racially intimidated in her department. Instead of informing human resources, as promised, the supervisor fired her.
She seeks compensation that includes $100,000 for lost wages and $500,000 for mental distress.
A year ago, another former African-American Comcast employee filed a racial discrimination lawsuit against the company, Law360.com reported. Wilbert Spencer Jr., who worked in Comcast’s customer service centers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, claimed the company discriminates against Black male employees and ignores assaults in the workplace.
Spencer alleges that a White female supervisor kicked his chair after he complained about one of the two assaults he experienced. He also claimed that his supervisors gave him negative performance reviews because of his complaints and refused to promote him.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that a federal judge in February denied Spencer’s attempt to convert his case to a class-action suit. However, the judge ruled that he could move forward with his case.
Happy Presidents' Day! 44 Photos To Make You Miss Obama
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 42
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 42
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 42
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 42
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 42
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 42
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 42
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 42
9. The Obamas on Air Force OneSource:Getty 9 of 42
10. The First Family in LondonSource:Getty 10 of 42
11. First Lady Michelle Obama with daughters Malia Obama and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 11 of 42
12. Sasha and Malia Obama at the 2016 State DinnerSource:Getty 12 of 42
13. Turkey PardoningSource:Getty 13 of 42
14. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 14 of 42
15. Gobble, GobbleSource:Getty 15 of 42
16. Malia Obama, the First DaughterSource:Getty 16 of 42
17. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 17 of 42
18. A Family AffairSource:Getty 18 of 42
19. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 19 of 42
20. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 20 of 42
21. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 21 of 42
22. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 22 of 42
23. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 23 of 42
24. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 24 of 42
25. Always Giving BackSource:Getty 25 of 42
26. A Christmas StorySource:Getty 26 of 42
27. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 27 of 42
28. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 28 of 42
29. Malia and Sasha ObamaSource:Getty 29 of 42
30. Michelle Plays on a BikeSource:Getty 30 of 42
31. Obama Loves Team USA, His Wife & MaliaSource:Getty 31 of 42
32. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 32 of 42
33. Family SupportSource:Getty 33 of 42
34. The Sister SelfieSource:Pete Souza 34 of 42
35. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 35 of 42
36. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 36 of 42
37. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 37 of 42
38. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 38 of 42
39. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 39 of 42
40. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 40 of 42
41. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 41 of 42
42. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 42 of 42
Fired Black Comcast Employee Files Discrimination Lawsuit was originally published on newsone.com