7 Murders Too many and 8 others injured In Chicago as violence Continues
Girl, 16, fatally stabbed; 6 shot to death, 8 others injured
by Kai EL’Zabar
A 16-year-old girl was stabbed to death and six people were fatally shot as violence left eight others wounded in shootings Saturday and early Sunday, according to Chicago Police. The 16 year old identified as Dekayla Dansberry was stabbed when a large group began fighting at 7:30 p.m. on the 6500 block of South Martin Luther King Drive in the Parkway Gardens neighborhood, said police spokeswoman Officer Michelle Tannehill.
As of early Sunday morning, police exported that no one was in custody for suspicion of the stabbing
Around 7:15 a.m. Sunday , a 35-year-old man was found shot to death in the in the 5000 block of West Washington Boulevard in the South Austin neighborhood on the West Side, according to Chicago police spokesman Officer Jose Estrada. The man was found inside a car with a gunshot wound to the head. He was pronounced dead on the scene. Police were called to the scene after receiving a report of a man slumped over the wheel of a car. Upon arrival they found the man dead.
A shooting in the Little Village neighborhood on the West Side ended with a a 23-year-old man dead after being critically wounded about 4:55 a.m. The man was inside a car traveling in the 2500 block of South Whipple Street when someone fired shots from a passing black SUV. The man was shot in the face, and he was driven to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead, according to Chicago police spokesperson.
A male driver and a female passenger were found shot to death about 4:05 a.m. inside a car in the northbound lanes of the Kennedy Expressway near Armitage Avenue, according to police. The circumstances of the shooting were not immediately known.
Saturday afternoon, two men were shot to death in separate incidents a few minutes apart in the Austin neighborhood.
At 3:45 p.m., a 32-year-old man identified as Kevin Milton,was pronounced dead after he was shot on the 800 block of North Waller Avenue, police said. The man was shot in the chest and managed to get to West Suburban Hospital in Oak Park. Kevin Milton, of the 800 block of North Parkside Avenue was pronounced dead at 4:14 p.m., according to the medical examiner’s office. The victim was seated in a driver’s side of a vehicle when someone approached him and shot him, according to police spokesman.
At 3:42 p.m., a 20-year-old man was shot in the chest, arm and abdomen, on the 5300 block of West Harrison Street, police said. Identified as Albert Hurd, of the 5200 block of West Congress Parkway, the victim was pronounced dead at 5:25 p.m. at Mount Sinai Hospital, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office. Police said the man was initially listed in critical condition at Mount Sinai. He was on the street when a dark-colored vehicle drove up and someone fired shots, striking him.
In other shootings:
- About 12:55 a.m., a 33-year-old man was dropped off at Stroger Hospital after getting shot, according to Chicago police he man was hit in the left side of the face, but it wasn’t clear where the shooting took place, Alfaro said. Police said the man was being uncooperative, and no other information was available.
- About 8:55 p.m. Saturday, a 15-year-old boy and an 18-year-old man were wounded in a shooting in the East Garfield Park neighborhood, police said. The two teens were walking in the 3100 block of West Warren Boulevard when someone in a passing light-colored sedan drove by and fired shots. The 18-year-old was shot in the hip, and the younger boy was hit in the chest, leg and arm. Both were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where their conditions stabilized, police said.
- At 7:30 p.m., two men were shot on the 1500 block of North Artesian Avenue in the Humboldt Park neighborhood, police said. A 30-year-old man was shot in the right leg and was taken to Stroger Hospital, where his condition stabilized. A 23-year-old man was shot in the buttocks and was at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, where his condition also stabilized, according to police report.
- At 6:21 p.m., a 44-year-old woman was shot on the 100 block of South Cicero Avenue on the West Side, police said. The woman was walking when she was shot in the right shin, according to Tannehill. She was taken in good condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
- At 6:17 p.m. a 50-year-old man was shot on the 5900 block of West Division Street in the Austin neighborhood, Tannehill said. The man was on a bicycle when a light-colored vehicle drove up to him and someone shot him in the upper right shoulder. The man was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital in fair condition, police said.
- Earlier in the day, a 16-year-old boy was hospitalized after being shot about 10:45 a.m. in the Heart of Chicago neighborhood, police said. The boy was on the 2100 block of West 19th Street when he was shot. The teen was shot in the leg and was taken to Stroger Hospital in good condition, police said.