Carol’s Daughter is going through tough financial times. The beauty brand filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this week, in connection with plans to close at least five of its seven stores.
According to The Wall Street Journal, “court papers show that CD Stores is 100% owned by parent company Carol’s Daughter Holdings LLC (the parent company didn’t file for bankruptcy). And the petition, which reported assets and debts each in the $1 million to $10 million range, was signed by Carol’s Daughter Chief Financial Officer John D. Elmer.”
The company filed the petition in a Manhattan bankruptcy court Thursday. Elmer said the hair, body and skincare company (one of the first to cater to the natural hair community) has not been unprofitable since 2010. Executives hope to “use its time in Chapter 11 to reorganize and consolidate its operations around its two open stores, in Brooklyn and Harlem.”
Celebrity ambassadors for the brand have included Solange Knowles, Cassie and Selita Ebanks. Will Smith, Jada Pinkett Smith and Jay Z have also promoted the line, founded by Lisa Price (photo above) in 1993.
Check Out This Gallery
Whip Your Hair: Natural Hair Dolls You Just Have To Buy!
1. Beautiful Dolls1 of 15
2. Cynthia Bailey2 of 15
3. Candice McBride3 of 15
4. For Real Girl Original: Red Yarn Braids4 of 15
5. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Top Hair Bun Doll5 of 15
6. Carolyn of JIL Creations6 of 15
7. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Kinky-Hair Afro Dolls7 of 15
8. Kristl Smith Tyler8 of 15
9. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Urban Princess Leia9 of 15
10. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Vintage Brandy10 of 15
11. Journey Girls: Chavonne11 of 15
12. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Elegant Updo12 of 15
13. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Curly Bun Up-do doll13 of 15
14. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Gorgeous Curly Ponytail14 of 15
15. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Auburn Locs15 of 15
Natural Beauty Brand Carol’s Daughter Files For Bankruptcy was originally published on hellobeautiful.com