Leave a comment

A West Side grandmother is recovering from bruises to her arm after a Tuesday traffic stop by Chicago police left her and her two, young grandchildren emotional damaged.

A West Side grandmother is recovering from bruises to her arm after a Tuesday traffic stop by Chicago police left her and her two, young grandchildren emotionally damaged. On Thursday she filed a compliant with the Independent Police Review Authority and was scheduled to meet with police brass at Area 5 headquarters, 5555 W. Grand Ave. “If I am ever stopped again by the Chicago police while driving I will be scared for my safety,” Jimmie Osideko, 50, told the Defender. “There was no reason for these officers to ‘man’ handle me the way they did especially in front of my grandchildren.” Osideko, who lives in the Austin community, said she was leaving choir rehearsal from Greater St. John Bible Church on the West Side around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday when she was forced to stop her car because there was a car double-parked in the street. “Two plain clothes police officers then pulled up behind me and was blowing their horn and shouting for me to pull over but I couldn’t because I was blocked in,” she recalls. “So when I did not move my car the officers drove up beside me and ordered me out my car and that’s when all hell broke loose.” According to Osideko, once she stepped out her car, one officer allegedly grabbed her and twisted her right arm so hard she suffered bruises, which were visible two days after the allege incident that took place at the corner of 1200 N. Menard. Roderick Drew, news affairs director for the Chicago Police Department, said he was looking into the incident but could not comment until any further until then. The Defender could not reach a spokesperson for IPRA. Witnessing the arrest in addition to onlookers were Osideko’s 2- and 4 year-old grandsons, who rode with her in the car. “My grandkids are emotionally damaged for life. They were screaming at the officers to let me go and to not her me but their cries went unnoticed as this one officer slammed my head against the car and then handcuffed me and threw me into his squad car,” she added. Osideko was ticketed for not having a driver’s license and not having the kids properly strapped in their car seats although she denies her grandkids were not strapped in securely. She also said she did not resist arrest or get loud with the officers despite her treatment. Her nightmare got worse once two female police officers arrived, she said. “One female officer searched me before transferring me into her squad car, and while doing so my breasts were exposed further humiliating me in front of my grandkids and innocent bystanders,” she said. “Just luckily one of my friends were among the bystanders and she looked after my grandkids until I was released from jail around 3:30 a.m.” The incident has West Side community leaders upset and wanting answers from the police about their plans to address the issue of excessive force. “These officers do not represent what the Chicago police is all about. They are not the norm but the exception,” the Rev. Ira Acree, pastor of Greater St. John Bible Church, said at a Tuesday news conference. “It makes no sense for an officer to put his hands on a woman so aggressively.” Regardless of the incident, the Rev. Marshal Hatch, pastor of New Mt. Pilgrim Church on the West Side, said he would continue to work with the police to improve strained relations that currently exist between them and the Black community. “We will continue to work with the police (but only) when they are right,” he said. “They must be reprimanded when they are wrong.” Copyright 2010 Chicago Defender.

Photo: Defender/Worsom Robinson

Also On The Chicago Defender:
Chicago is new fashion mecca for ethnic wear
34 photos
comments – add yours