We would expect nothing less than a candid interview with Kanye West in the pages of GQ’s August 2014 issue, which features the rapper on the cover.
Inside, he discusses his public persona, his reputation, his music, his style and his marriage to Kim Kardashian, including rumors about his romance with Kim Kardashian.
Here are some of the highlights:
Regarding his temper:
• “I’m not a shark. I’m a blowfish…People have me pinned as a shark or a predator in some way, and in no way am I that. I wouldn’t want to hurt anyone. I want to defend people. I want to help people.”
On how he and his wife are shaping celebrity culture:
• “I am a black American male from Chicago who had my rehearsal dinner at Versailles and then got married in Florence with a view of the entire city,” he proudly says, referring to his May 24 wedding.
Regarding rumors as to why close friends and business partners Beyonce and Jay Z did not make it to the wedding:
• “It doesn’t even matter to me whatsoever, who would show up. Because the most important person to show up there, to me, was Kim. And that’s all that matters to me. I had to fight for that for seven years. But the fact that these other people showed up that are from such different worlds but have done such dynamic things… I was so moved. That alone to me is like the same moment when I brought Mos Def to the studio with Jay Z.”
On he and Kim learning to communicate:
• “Both me and Kim had to learn how to communicate as a team. These are two LeBrons, you know? Meaning she could do s**t that a girlfriend in a relationship could never do. Obviously. And I could do stuff that a guy in a relationship could never do. So if you look at half my tweets back then, they were always, like, funny tweets that I wouldn’t be able to say now. It wouldn’t be respectful to my relationship. It’s interesting, as I’m delving into being married: Like, what is my verbal creative communication?”
On taking advice from Kim:
• “And what I had to learn from Kim is how to take more of her advice and less of other people’s advice. There’s a lot of Kim K skills that were added. In order to win at life, you need some Kim K skills, period.”
On influencing influencing other fashion designers:
• “Me, as Kanye West: I guarantee you, I’m more than 50 percent responsible for every men’s shoe that they sell. Me, the singular person. More than 50 percent responsible for every Balenciaga shoe they sell. And they would say, “You can’t come to the show, because you are a celebrity.” But all honesty, no ego, I have a level of influence, and I have a level of respect for the designers. And we move product on that Barneys floor.”
On obtaining the happiness he is looking for:
• “This is a multi-lifetime process that we have now embarked on. Meaning starting now, you’re just starting to see a glimmer of what the idea of West will mean. So right now, at this age and with this visibility and with the skill sets that Kim is now giving me, I think I have a good chance of success in building something that has longevity, high integrity, high success rate, and is very fulfilling, not only for me creatively but also in adding fulfillment to people’s lives. Adding ease. Adding wonder. Adding magic.”
On his upcoming album:
• “But now, for the new album, one new thing could change everything. I had an idea of the way I wanted to do the album. And then I got a new song that’s so good that the album has to be balanced against it. This song is a song that can be in the club like “Don’t Like” or “Niggas in Paris.” Whereas before I was working on the album and I had these beautiful songs, they were just more songs. They weren’t saying, “Okay, tuck your whole summer in.” They were just saying, “Hey, I’m a great musician, I make these beautiful songs, and they have all this meaning, and nobody can make anything that means this much.”
Read more at http://www.eurweb.com/2014/07/kanye-west-talks-music-style-kim-in-gq-cover-story-pics/#zH8QMgJCjQFduBhZ.99