CBS released an official statement Thursday, April 10, announcing “The Colbert Report” anchor will take over for Letterman when the latter retires in 2015.
One week ago today, Letterman announced he will leave his late night seat after 33 years. While taping his Thursday, April 3 show, the 66-year-old said he called CBS president Leslie Moonves before the program, “And I said ‘Leslie, it’s been great, you’ve been great, and the network has been great, but I’m retiring.’”
By the time he does, he will have hosted CBS’ “Late Show With David Letterman” for 22 years. He previously hosted NBC’s “Late Night” for 11 years.
By Friday, April 4, rumors swirled that Colbert, 49, is CBS’ top choice for replacing Letterman. Mashable reported at the time that Colbert has not had any formal conversations about taking the position, but he is the network’s first pick. It was also noted that “The Colbert Report” contract with Comedy Central runs through 2014, which makes timing ideal.
Other names were tossed around, ranging from Tina Fey to Jon Stewart to Neil Patrick Harris, but today’s announcement makes it clear they are no longer in the running.
To read this story in its entirety visit huffingtonpost.com