(Via Bloomberg News) –The first yearly sign-up period for Obamacare closes today, with early returns suggesting the administration may near a projection of 7 million enrollees made before the U.S. health exchange struggled at its startup.
The rollout has been under constant attack from Republican foes and faced a key U.S. Supreme Court decision that allowed states to limit the Medicaid expansion that was an important part of the plan. It also suffered from myriad technical flaws in the website that made it unusable for more than a month.
The government last week said 6 million Americans had enrolled by March 27, and that about 1 million people a day were visiting healthcare.gov. With four days left, that figure met a mark set by the Congressional Budget Office in February that was revised downward from an initial 7 million estimate after the law’s trouble start in October. Republicans today again questioned the credibility of the administration’s numbers.
“I think they’re cooking the books on this,” said Senator John Barrasso, a Wyoming Republican, in an appearance today on Fox News Sunday. “What kind of insurance will those people actually have? Will they be able to keep the doctor that they want? How much more is it going to cost them?”
For more, click here.