I’m not one to make resolutions for any New Year, but I was stuck in a beauty rut. My winged liner and red or pink lip routine is a classic going-out staple that looks good on anyone, but what about the nights when I want that extra umph?
Lipstick is the easiest product to use to spice up your routine and can transform your look without jeopardizing your entire face–making sure both lines are even isn’t exactly a huge issue with lips. So, instead of picking up a bluer red or pinker pink, I came across a funky grey from Obsessive Compulsive Lip Tar called Sebastian. It’s a lovely grey that appears to have a milky, even lilac, undertone, depending on your complexion or what you’re wearing.
To all the self-proclaimed beauty junkies, I double dare you to try this look. You may not be able to wear it everyday, but for special occasions a grey can really make heads turn.
Follow these tips to go grey with the best of ‘em:
1. Start with a lip primer or hydrating balm that’ll coat your lips well. You don’t want any of the color slipping through dry cracks on your lips. I’d suggest either MAC Prep + Prime Lip or, if you’re on a budget, try E.L.F. Studio Lip Primer and Plumper. Set the primer for about 30 seconds.
2. The key to any sharp lip is the liner, and this look is no different. Draw a small line tracing the middle of your bottom lip. Open your mouth and trace the lower inner corners of your lip with the pencil. Drag the pencil from either corner back to the middle. Close your mouth; trace a line on your top lip (your cupid’s bow) and drag the liner to your lips’ corners. For a really dramatic effect, try using a liner that’s as close to the color as possible. In this case, it’d be MAC Stone, a muted grey that you can easily fill your lips with. You can also stick with any neutral brown liner to achieve a simpler look (even though this look is anything but!).
3. Always apply with a lip brush. Take any lip brush you can get your hands on, put some color on the tip and fill! Be sure to stay in the lines and layer on as much color for your desired effect.
Now, that you have your lip, keep these tips in mind to keep from clashing colors:
1. Keep the rest of your makeup fresh. Grey is a pretty muddy color to begin with, so dab some matte bronzer on your cheeks to keep your face warm.
2. Brighten your best features. Swipe white eyeliner on your bottom waterline (a common trick that wakes up your face) after using your favorite black eyeliner.
3. Tone down the rest of your outfit. A grey works the best with darker clothing, preferably in black or purple. Now’s not the time to break out that yellow dress you picked up last weekend. Also, avoid grey clothing to keep your look away from costume territory.
MORE STYLE & BEAUTY:
LIKE HelloBeautiful On Facebook To Keep Up With The Latest Style & Beauty Trends