For anyone who enjoys food and cooking, summer offers the finest ingredients—fresh local fruits and vegetables from the garden, farmers’ market, and grocery—to make any dish superlative. The key is to keep things simple and let the quality of seasonal ingredients shine through. It’s so easy, enjoyable, and affordable to indulge your cravings for fresh fruits and vegetables this time of year.
Produce is at its peak in the summertime, so take advantage of in-season:
- Apricots: Apricots have a short season that runs from May through July, with some prized varieties (like Blenheims) only available for a few weeks in late June/early July.
- Bell Peppers: Sweet bell peppers are available as early as May and as late as December, and are at their peak during the summer months.
- Avocado: Creamy avocados are typically available year-round, but hit their peak in the summer (at least in California).
- Blackberries: Blackberries are available as early as May and as late as October.
- Blueberries: Blueberry season typically runs from May through August.
- Cauliflower: Cauliflower is typically available all months, but its peak is in Summer (July and August).
- Cherries: Sweet cherries are typically available from April through July.
- Corn: Sweet corn is in season from the beginning of June through the early Fall months.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers are at their peak growing time from early summer to mid-fall (June through November).
- Eggplant: Look for squat and sturdy globe eggplants and slender Japanese varieties from July through October.
For more, read at http://blackdoctor.org/188153/summer-fruits-and-vegetables/