Musician Jack White has stepped forward to pay a $142,000 back tax bill owed by the Masonic Temple. Had the bill not been paid, the building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, could have been put on the auction block.
According to reports, the Masonic Temple’s 1,586 seat Catherdral Theatre is being re-named in honor of the Detroit native. Not only has White played there (both with the White Stripes and as a solo performer, but so have such acts as the Rolling Stones.
The donation, made on May 30, was initially anonymous. Construction on the Masonic Temple began in 1920 and was completed in 1926. The 14-story building takes up a block and has more than 1,000 rooms. It was built by the architectural firm of George Mason and Company.
In addition to the theatre, the Masonic Temple’s features include a chapel, eight lodge rooms a barber shop and a 16-lane bowling alley.
The Masonic Temple is located on Temple Street (formerly Bagg Street) across Cass Park from the Michigan Chronicle.