In certain circles, I have often received countless inquiries about sweet wines: “What would you recommend that is sweet?”
There are a plethora of options to consider beyond Moscato or White Zinfandel. For starters, I always lean away from what is common. After all, where is the fun in doing what is common? The following are wines for the sweeter palate: Riesling, Gewürztraminer, Sherry, Port and Sauternes are a few staples in that area of sweetness. These wines range in price from $5 a bottle to upwards of $800-plus. The higher end wines are often considered collectibles and/or auction caliber that historically increase in value over time, very much like a stock. We will examine the latter type of wines in future blog posts.
Let’s be perfectly clear. you do not have to spend a monthly or weekly paycheck to enjoy a good bottle of wine. For instance, there are plenty of wines that will knock your socks off in terms of quality and price. Below are the names of a few that are outstanding that I have tasted and highly recommend. Some are age-worthy, some are award winning and some are collectibles.
- Covey Run Riesling
- Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling
- Kung Fu Girl Riesling
- oEach of these is great for the price and exhibit nice quality!
- oProduced in the state of Washington
- Gustave Lorentz Gewurztraminer
- Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Lot 170
- Roberson Late Harvest Gewurztraminer
- Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Herrenweg de Turckheim
- oEach wine is excellent and to die for!
- oThe wines listed are produced in France, Germany and South Africa
- Emilio Lustau Solera Reserva Pedro Ximenez Sherry
- Gonzalez Byass Noe Pedro Ximenez
- Lustau Vina 25 Pedro Ximenez
- Toro Albala Don Pedro Ximenez Gran Reserva
- oIndigenous of Spain
- Taylor Fladgate Vintage Port
- Taylor Fladgate 10 Year Old Tawny
- Taylor Fladgate 20 Year Old Tawny
- Warre’s Late Vintage Port
- Warre’s 10 Year Old Tawny
- Warre’s 20 Year Old Tawny
- oGreat after dinner drink, with a cigar or simply by itself!
- oIndigenous of Portugal
- Chateau Rieussec Sauternes
- Chateau Suduiraut Sauternes
- Chateau d’Yquem
- oThese gems range in price from the low $30s and can go for $800 and much higher.
- oIndigenous of Bordeaux, France
In my next blog posting we will focus on the fascination and ever increasing popularity of “blends.”
To learn more about wine, allow us to take you on that journey by contacting us.
Elbert Hatley, The Wine Guide