It takes special boys and girls to become members of the Bud Billiken Parade Royal Court. Do you have what it takes to be King, Queen, Prince, Princess, Lord or Lady of the Bud Billiken Parade? Click “Read more” to find out if you have what it takes be Bu
BUD BILLIKEN KING AND QUEEN CONTEST
RULES AND REGULATIONS
• To enter the contest, each contestant must complete and submit the official registration form (in its entirety) no later than 4:30pm, Friday, June 24 to Chicago Defender, Bud Billiken King & Queen Contest, 4445 S. King Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60653. Registration begins at 9:30am Wednesday, May 18. King and Queen Contest Business hours are 9:30am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
• Registration forms may be found in the Chicago Defender newspaper and on the Chicago Defender web-site (www.chicagodefender.com) beginning Wednesday, May 18 through Friday, June 24. Registration forms will not be accepted after 4:30pm Friday, June 24.
• Contestants must be at least 8 and no more than 12 years of age at the time of registration. A parent or guardian must consent to contestant’s participation and provide an original birth certificate.
• First place winners of previous Bud Billiken King and Queen Contests are not eligible to enter the 2011 contest.
• Contestants must live in the Chicago metropolitan area, which is defined as the city of Chicago and contiguous communities within a radius of fifty (50) miles of the city center.
• All registered contestants will receive an information package containing vote coupons, essay topic and guidelines, and other important information.
• Contestants accumulate points by submitting to the Chicago Defender Vote Coupons with payment in full as well as an essay. In order to be eligible for the Royal Court, contestants must submit a minimum of 10 vote coupons as well as the essay.
• The 2011 Bud Billiken Royal Court will be determined by the total number of combined points earned from submitting Vote Coupons and an essay.
• The Chicago Defender will crown the boy and girl, receiving the highest number of combined points (Vote Coupons and essay), King and Queen. The boy and girl receiving the second highest number of points will be named Prince and Princess. The boy and girl receiving the third highest number of points will be named Lord and Lady.
• The King and Queen will receive the Grand Prize.
• Points from Vote Coupons will be published in the Chicago Defender Wednesday, June 22, June 29, and July 6. Vote Coupons received prior to 12:00pm (noon), Friday will be included in the Wednesday update.
• All points from Vote Coupons will be verified by an independent Certified Public Accountant.
• Final points will be published on Wednesday, July 27, unless another date is announced. Winners will be notified by the contest director.
• If the Chicago Defender determines that a tie exists for first place, the contest will continue for two additional days for those contestants tied for first place only. In case of a tie, points will be earned by submitting Vote Coupons only.
• Vote Coupons will not be accepted before 9:00 am Monday, June 6, the first day of voting; or after 4:00pm Friday, July 15, the end of the contest.
• Voters receive a 6 month, 1 year, or multiple year new or renewed subscription to the Chicago Defender newspaper.
• Vote Coupons are not refundable.
• Payment by check will be accepted up to 4:30 pm Friday, July 1. Any check(s) returned by the bank for any reason will result in a forfeiture of points associated with the check(s) until cash or money order correcting the situation has been received. Additionally, a $30.00 return check fee will be assessed for each returned check.
• Payment by cash, cashier’s check, money order, along with MasterCard and Visa credit or debit cards will be accepted up to 4:30 pm Friday, July 15, the end of the contest.
• Vote coupons may be delivered by United States Postal Service, Messenger Service, Delivery Service, or in person to: Chicago Defender, Bud Billiken King & Queen Contest, 4445 S. King Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60653.
• Only registered contestants will receive the essay topic, theme and guidelines.
• The deadline for the submission of the essay is 4:30pm, Friday, July 1. The essay may be delivered by United States Postal Service, Messenger Service, Delivery Service, or in person to: Chicago Defender, Bud Billiken King & Queen Contest, 4445 S. King Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60653.
• Essays received after the deadline will not be read or graded. Also, the contestant will not be eligible for the oral presentation portion of the contest.
• Contestants who submit an essay by the deadline will are eligible to participate in the oral presentation of their essay on Saturday, July 9 or Sunday, July 10 at a location to be announced.
Prizes and Activities
• A complete list of prizes will be made available to all contestants upon compilation.
• Prizes will be awarded separately for the number of points earned from vote coupons and for the number of points earned from the essay competition.
• All contestants who submit paid subscriptions and an essay will receive prizes and awards for their effort.
• Once awarded, prizes will not be exchanged or substituted.
• All prizes will be awarded at the King and Queen Coronation on Sunday, August 7 unless otherwise advised.
• All members of the royal court must be able to participate in orientation activities from Wednesday, July 27, through Saturday, August 6.
• All members of the Bud Billiken Parade Royal Court must be able to participate in the week of fun from Sunday, August 7 through Saturday, August 13. An escort will be provided to accompany the royal court on all of their activities during the week of fun.
• A complete schedule of activities will be made available to all contestants.
• The Chicago Defender reserves the right to change or substitute prizes and awards when necessary due to availability or other circumstances.
• Some prizes may require use by a specific date.
ADDITIONAL CONTEST DETAILS
• Contestants agree to allow the Chicago Defender to use their names and pictures for publicity purposes.
• Contestants must complete an affidavit of eligibility and a release in form and substance satisfactory to the Chicago Defender. Failure to complete either document will result in the forfeiture of prizes and participation in the parade.
• Employees of Real Time, Inc., Sengstacke Enterprises, the Chicago Defender Publishing Company, the Chicago Defender charities, their subsidiaries, distributors, advertising agencies and members of their families may not compete in this contest.
• Winners will be responsible for all taxes, if any, or special assessments on prizes or other awards in conjunction with this contest.
• Decisions of the Chicago Defender are final in regards to this contest.