Enter the Bud Billiken contest.
1. In order to officially enter the contest, each contestant must complete the official registration form (in its entirety) and return it no later than 4:30pm, Friday, June 18, 2008 to: Chicago Defender, Bud Billiken Parade« King & Queen Contest, 200 S. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1700, Chicago, Illinois 60604. Registration begins at 9:00am Monday, May 19, 2008. Regular Business hours are 9:00am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
2. Registration forms may be found in the Chicago Defender newspaper and on the Chicago Defender web-site (www.chicagodefender.com) beginning Wednesday, May 14, 2008.
3. Contestants must be at least 8 and no more than 12 years of age at the time of registration. A parent or guardian must consent to contestant’s participation and provide an original birth certificate.
4. Contestants must live in the Chicago metropolitan area, which is defined as the city of Chicago and contiguous communities within a radius of fifty (50) miles of the city center.
5. First place winners of previous Bud Billiken« Parade King and Queen Contest are not eligible to enter the 2008 contest.
6. The Chicago Defender will crown the boy and girl, receiving the highest number of combined votes (vote coupons and essay), King and Queen respectively. The boy and girl receiving the second highest number of votes will be named Prince and Princess. The boy and girl receiving the third highest number of votes will be named Lord and Lady.
7. Contestants accumulate votes by submitting to the Chicago Defender vote coupons with payment in full as well as an essay. In order to be eligible for the Royal Court, contestants must submit a minimum of 10 vote coupons as well as the essay.
8. All registered contestants will receive an information package containing vote coupons, essay topic and guidelines, and other important information.
9. Voters receive a 6 month, 1 year, or multiple year subscription.
10. Vote Coupons are non-refundable. The value of each vote coupon is as follows: – 6 month subscription/$20.00 – earns 1000 votes – 1 year subscription/$35.00 – earns 2000 votes – 2 year subscription/$65.00 – earns 5000 votes – 3+ year subscription/$35 year – earns 2000 votes year ($35×3 years = $105/6000 votes
11. Vote Coupons will not be accepted before 9:00 a.m. Monday, June 2, 2008, the first day of voting or after 2:00p.m. Friday, July 11, 2008, the end of the contest.
12. All forms of payment (checks, cash, cashier’s checks, money orders, Master Card, Visa, American Express and Discover credit cards will be accepted up to 2:00 p.m. Friday, July 11, 2008, the end of the contest.
13. Vote coupons may be delivered by United States Postal Service, Messenger Service, Delivery Service, or in person to: Chicago Defender, Bud Billiken Parade« King & Queen Contest, 200 S. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1700, Chicago, Illinois 60604.
14. The deadline for the submission of the essay is 4:30p.m., Friday, June 27, 2008. Essay entry forms and the essay may be delivered by United States Postal Service, Messenger Service, Delivery Service, or in person to: Chicago Defender, Bud Billiken Parade« King & Queen Contest, 200 S. Michigan Avenue, Suite 1700, Chicago, Illinois 60604.
15. All essays received by the deadline will be read and graded based on the following criteria: – Focus – The essay flows smoothly from beginning to end, has an engaging opening, a great ending and is on one subject or event. – Integration û The essay is easy to understand, sentences and paragraphs fit smoothly together, and the topic is clear and well developed. – Organization û Sentences and paragraphs are tied together in a logical sequence and they vary in length and type to provide interest. – Mechanics û Proper grammar, punctuation and spelling are used throughout the essay.
16. Points awarded for the essay will be converted to votes and added to the total votes of each contestant. Points and votes will be awarded as follows: CATEGORY POINTS VOTES Awesome 90 û 100 6,000 Right-on 70 – 89 3,000 Rising Star 0 – 69 1,000
17. Contestants who are judged to have written an Awesome essay will be invited to participate in the oral presentation of their essay. The oral presentation of the essays will take place on Saturday, July 12 at a location to be announced.
18. Essays presented orally will be judged based on the following criteria: – Posture û Erect bearing with limited detracting movements – Diction û Pronunciation and enunciation of words – Projection û Speaking loud and clear – Enthusiasm û Speaking with feeling and energy
19. The contestants who participate in the oral presentations will be awarded points and votes as follows: CATEGORY POINTS VOTES Awesome 90 û 100 6,000 Right-on 70 – 89 3,000 Rising Star 0 – 69 1,000
20. Vote tallies will be published in the Chicago Defender June 11 through July 9. Votes received prior to 12:00pm, Friday will be included in the next update.
21. All votes will be verified by a Certified Public Accountant.
22. Final vote tallies will be published on Wednesday, July 23, 2008 unless another date is announced. Winners will be notified by the contest director.
23. If the Chicago Defender determines that a tie exists for first place, the contest will continue for two additional days for those contestants tied for first place only. In case of a tie, voting will be by vote coupons only.
24. Prizes will be awarded separately for the number of votes earned from vote coupons and for the number of points earned from the essay competition.
25. All contestants who submit paid subscriptions and or an essay will receive prizes and awards for their effort.
26. A complete list of prizes will be made available to all contestants.
27. Once awarded, prizes will not be exchanged or substituted.
28. The Bud Billiken Parade« Royal Court will be determined by the total number of combined votes earned from submitting vote coupons and an essay.
29. The King and Queen will receive the Grand Prize.
30. All members of the royal court will participate in orientation activities from Friday, July 25, 2008 through Saturday, August 2, 2008.
31. All members of the Bud Billiken Parade« Royal Court will participate in the week of fun from Sunday, August 3, 2008 through Saturday, August 9, 2008. An escort will be provided to accompany the royal court on all of their activities during the week of fun.
32. A complete schedule of activities will be made available to all contestants.
33. The Chicago Defender reserves the right to change or substitute prizes and awards when necessary due to availability or other circumstances.
34. Decisions of the Chicago Defender are final in regards to this contest.
35. Contestants agree to allow the Chicago Defender to use their names and pictures for publicity purposes. Contestants will sign an affidavit of eligibility and a release in form and substance satisfactory to the Chicago Defender. Failure to sign either document will result in the forfeiture of prizes and participation in the parade.
36. Employees of Real Time, Inc., Sengstacke Enterprises, the Chicago Defender, their subsidiaries, distributors, advertising agencies and members of their families may not compete in this contest.
37. Winners will be responsible for all taxes, if any, or special assessments on prizes or other awards in conjunction with this contest.
38. Some prizes may require use by a specific date.